The History of our location
There has been an ice cream shop at 131 Gorham Street in Chelmsford since the late 1950's. Before that time, the land was used as farmland and as a small farm stand for the Finnick family of Chelmsford who owned the property since the late 1800's.
Finnick House - circa 1899
The following is a history of the various incarnations the ice cream shop went through since being built.
Year Name of Stand Owners Comment
Tom & Clifford Firth (brothers who built the stand and ran
1959 Pine Valley Farm Lavoie's Dairy of Lowell (milk plant on Wilder St, Lowell)
1962 Crowley Farm Crowley Family of Tewksbury
Spring 1973 Little Maggie's Cavanaugh family of Tewksbury
Aug 9, 1973 Gary's Ice Cream Gary Frascarelli (still operating today, 2011 - 38th season)
This would make Gary's Ice Cream the oldest ice cream shop still operating in Chelmsford and the oldest in the Merrimack Valley under the same management.
Back to our Main Page